Environmental Health & Safety > Emergency Preparedness > Hazardous Release

The college complies with OSHA regulations pertaining to Hazardous Chemical / Material handling and the blood borne Pathogens Standards.

Incidents involving human blood will normally require the use of universal precautions and engineering implements (e.g., latex gloves, goggles, CPR mask, face protection, dust pan, etc.). Such use will protect the victim, the first aid provider, and the employee cleaning the contaminated surface. In the case of hazardous chemicals / materials, special protective equipment may be required.

Hazardous material accidents may occur in the science laboratories, central receiving, or the Technology Center buildings where chemicals are stored and used. Compressed gas cylinders may contain gasses that are toxic, explosive, or asphyxiant.

What to Do:

When you have an incident that involves human blood or the release/spillage of a hazardous chemical/material, please remain calm and:

  • Immediately notify Environmental Health and Safety Office at 3327 or 775-530-7475 or University Police Services at 3308 or 775-445-3308 or 775-230-1952. Provide the type of emergency, i.e., blood, chemical, hazardous material.
  • If a hazardous chemical/material is involved, evacuate the affected area. If a toxic or flammable gas is involved, do not pull the fire alarm. Verbally request people to evacuate the building as quickly as possible.
  • Avoid coming in contact with human blood without proper protection. If you do come in contact, immediately wash your hands and advise the responding Environmental Health and Safety or University Police Services officer.

In the event of a tank regulator breakage, the compressed gas cylinder may become a deadly missile. Clear the area immediately. In the event of a leak from a compressed gas cylinder, extinguish all smoking and clear a 50 foot radius around the leaking cylinder. Classroom chemical releases will be handled by lab instructors and teaching assistants. Chemical spills in the Central Receiving Office will be handled by Central Receiving staff.

If a spill is so large that it cannot be contained or chemicals are released into the sewer, notify the Environmental Health and Safety Office at 3327 or (775) 530-7475 or University Police Services at 3308 or (775) 230-1952.

Treat all chemical releases as potentially serious. DO NOT STAY IN THE AREA!

Contact Us

Environmental Health and Safety
Reynolds Building, Room 104C
2201 West College Parkway, Carson City, NV 89703