Natural gas for heating: Natural gas has a characteristic aroma of rotten eggs.

Compressed gas in cylinders: Gas cylinders may contain gasses that are toxic, explosive, or asphyxiants. Whenever gas is detected in a building or other enclosed area, it should be treated as an emergency and immediately reported to University Police Services. Gas leaks, when left unreported, can result in an explosion with subsequent injuries or death to campus community members.

To limit the possibility of an explosion, avoid using light switches, fire bells/horns, telephones, cell phones, and appliances when gas is detected.

What to Do:

If you smell gas (characterized by a rotten egg smell):

  • Remain calm. Shut it off if the source of the leak is immediately apparent and can be easily corrected (e.g., Bunsen Burner, kitchen appliances, etc.).
  • Evacuate the building/area when the source of the leak is not apparent.
  • When evacuating: Do not activate the fire alarm or use the phone or turn on lights in the affected area. Verbally notify everyone in the affected area and proceed to the closest exit and evacuate the building.
  • Notify University Police Services from an unaffected area.

Contact Us

Environmental Health and Safety
Reynolds Building, Room 104C
2201 West College Parkway, Carson City, NV 89703