At Western Nevada College we use Multiple Measures to guide student placement into courses. Depending on the requirements you meet, there are multiple ways to place into your first class of English or Math at WNC.

Students that plan to obtain a degree or certificate of achievement will need to complete English and Math requirements. Students will meet with an academic advisor to ensure proper placement into English and Math courses based on review of placement options and goals.

English and Math placement at WNC is determined by a combination of high school transcripts, ACT/SAT scores, AP scores, Accuplacer testing and/or the Guided Self Placement tool.

There are multiple course options for each English and Math placement level. The English and Math course(s) taken will vary based on the intended program of study.

Form Accuplacer Cut Scores Fall 2022

If you have a High School transcript from within the last two years, or a previous college transcript which includes Math and English coursework, please provide those documents to the appropriate office. Official transcripts can be sent to our Admissions & Records office or unofficial records can be sent to our Advising office. Once those documents have been received, you can speak with an advisor for guidance into appropriate courses.

Next Generation–Accuplacer: This test covers writing, reading and math. Students can use this measure for placement guidance into college English and Math courses. For free practice materials please click here.

Accuplacer testing is available by appointment only Monday-Friday from 9am-3pm. The fee for this test is $15 and a valid government issued photo ID is required to check in for the test. For questions or to schedule an Accuplacer test please call the Carson campus at 775-445-3267.

If you have record of a score from an ACTSATAP or IB exam, or a CLEP exam, speak to an advisor for guidance into the appropriate class. See more information on these exams here.

You can submit your ACT or SAT scores to the Advising office and AP, IB or CLEP exams can be submitted to our Admissions & Records office.

If you don’t have the required documentation to use any of the other methods or would like additional guidance on course placement, please review the Guided Self-Placement questionnaire. Once you’ve completed that questionnaire, contact the Advising office to finalize your placement with an advisor.


Contact Us

Academic Advising and Access
Bristlecone Building, Room 103
2201 West College Parkway, Carson City, NV 89703