Academic Advising and Access
Need to Schedule an Advising Appointment?
We are currently taking appointments in-person or virtually (Zoom/Google Hangouts).
Please be prepared with your WNC student ID number.
Academic Advising and Access is here to help!
Students are highly encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor on an ongoing basis. Advisors will assist students to stay on track with their academic plan.
WNC offers a variety of counseling services as an integral part of each students educational experience, including the following:
- Assist students in developing educational plans for certificate of achievement and degree programs
- Monitor students academic progress each semester by determining classes completed verses classes needed for program completion
- Link to career resources
- Provide information about transferring to other colleges
- Assist with personal counseling and resources
- Explain college policies and procedures
- Review Financial Aid Appeal Form and Academic Plan
- Review Excess Credit Fee Appeal Form
- Assist with completion of Veterans Data Form (required each semester)
- Encourage and support goal fulfillment
Assist students in identifying and attaining their educational goals.
- Explaining the mission of the college and the differences between the degrees and certificates the college offers.
- Helping the student assess which degree or certificate may be the most appropriate for them.
- Providing accurate information about degree requirements and course sequences of the curriculum.
- Assisting the student with course selection and/or registration.
- Monitoring a students academic progress and producing degree progress reports which allows the student to see which requirements have been met for the degree or certificate and which requirements still need to be completed.
- Assist with transferring to other academic institutions.
- Using career assessments to interpret potential career paths for the student.
- Help with locating occupational and/or career information.
Maintain appropriate counseling approach and ethics.
- Remaining aware of the advisors limitations and advising only about matters of which they have knowledge. If the advisor does not know the answer to a question or does not possess knowledge of the information a student is seeking, the advisor should find out the answer and follow-up with the student.
- Creating an atmosphere of openness and trust, remaining non-judgmental and maintaining confidentiality of shared information.
- Promptly returning student phone calls and email messages.
- Not making decisions for students. Advisors are not expected to and should not make decisions for students; instead, their role is to provide information, ask questions and listen to what the student wants and needs so the student can make the decision that is right for him/her.
All first-time degree and certificate seeking students must attend an orientation. The purpose of the Wildcat Welcome Orientation is to help students make a successful transition to the college environment and promote academic excellence as well as social interaction.
Orientation also provides pertinent information related to academic expectations, campus resources and services. Our orientation is designed to promote the completion of educational goals and student success.
To sign up for an upcoming orientation, please fill out our online sign up form here.
For further questions, please contact Advising at 775-445-3267
Nevada Career Information System
Nevada Career Information System is a thorough career guidance system through the State of Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation (DETR).
WNC students and staff can use NCIS with the following login information:
- Username: WesternNC
- Password: WesternNC01
Utilize this personalized tool to match your interests and skills with education and re-skilling necessary for career and job opportunities.
MBTI and SII
For career assessments such as the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the Strong Interest Inventory (SII), please contact Susan Trist at 775-445-4459 or by email at email@example.com