University Police Services at WNC
A Fully Functional Law Enforcement Agency
University of Nevada, Reno Police Services officers have full police powers; certified under the laws of the State of Nevada. They perform the same function as officers from city, county and state agencies enforcing all local, state and federal laws and ordinances within the jurisdiction of the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), Western Nevada College (WNC), Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), and Desert Research Institute (DRI).
Reporting Criminal Actions or Emergencies
To report a crime in progress or an emergency, dial 911.
Non-emergency crime reports should be made to University Police Services by calling (775) 230-1952 .
WNC Alerts for Closures and Emergencies
In the event of adverse weather or another emergency that affects College operations, the College will communicate to employees and students via
- Email: Employees will be contacted using the WNC All College group list. Students will be contacted at their College email address.
- Social Media: The College will post updates via our social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- News Media: Local news media will carry WNC information on their website or broadcasts.
- Website: The College will post a prominent message on the homepage at www.wnc.edu.
Notifications to Students
Campus Safety Department staff often receives requests to deliver messages to students. In accordance to the WNC Security-Related Procedures and Practices Manual, the Public Safety Department is authorized to make student notifications which are of an emergency or police nature only. Public Safety Department personnel screen each request by asking relevant questions. Therefore, anyone making such a request is expected to provide some or all of the following information:
- students social security number
- full name
- college program
- class the student is currently in
- identification of person making the request
- the reason for the need to notify