Emergency Medical Services
The Certificate of Achievement-Emergency Medical Services (EMS) is designed for individuals interested in providing care to patients in the pre-hospital setting, and will prepare students for Paramedic level training. This program will provide the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for an entry-level EMT/AEMT and allow eligibility to sit for national and state testing for emergency medical technician and advanced emergency medical technician. The program meets or exceeds the required skills and knowledge as set forth by the NHTSA’s office of EMS National EMS Education Standards and Instructional Guidelines.
- EMT/AEMT learning activities are scheduled on and oﬀ campus on days, evenings and weekends.
- Course organization requires students to have basic computer skills, including the ability to navigate various online learning programs.
- Clinical experiences take place at acute care hospitals, clinics and other medical facilities.
- Field experience takes place on an ALS ambulance or ALS/ILS Fire Department Engine/Rescue under the direct supervision of a preceptor.
- Documentation and currency of the following is required prior to acceptance into the
EMS 108 and/or EMS 115 courses:
- An acceptable physical examination and required immunizations and tests.
- Current CPR certiﬁcation – American Heart Association Healthcare Provider.
- Major medical health insurance (card required).
- An acceptable background check.
*For EMS 115 an EMT Nevada State Certification IS required. National Registry Certification will not be accepted.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with professional and employer expectations of an entry-level EMT/AEMT.
- Demonstrate proficiency in all skills necessary to fulfill the role of an entry-level EMT/AEMT.
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, evaluate and apply information relative to the role of an entry-level EMT/AEMT.
Please see the Certificate of Achievement page for a list of all courses filling general education requirements.
|Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
|Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT)
|* Current Nevada State EMT Certification is a required prerequisite for EMS 115.
|GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
|English/Communications (Recommend COM 101) Must include a writing course.
|PSY Any Psychology class except 210 (PSY 101 recommended)
BIOL 200* Elements of Human Anatomy & Physiology
or EMS 205 Principles of Pathophysiology
*BIOL 223 & BIOL 224 will be accepted in place of BIOL 200