Veteran's Education Benefits

The determination of eligibility for veteran educational benefits rests with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The Veterans Certifying Official helps veterans and other eligible students to access their benefits by certifying their enrollment each semester.

Education Benefit Programs

For a detailed explanation of each of the programs, go to VA Benefits Page.
NOTE: ‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at”

Getting Certified at WNC

If a student wishes to use VA Education Benefits at Western Nevada College, he or she must complete the following steps:

  1. Complete the application for VA education benefits. This application can be completed through VA Benefits Page. After completing the application,  if eligible for VA Education Benefits  the Department of Veteran Affairs will generate a Certificate of Eligibility and mail to the applicant.
  2. Complete the WNC Application for Admission and all required new student steps.
  3. Send all transcripts from previous colleges and universities, including military transcripts, to WNC Admissions and Records.  Once your transcripts have been sent, you must complete the Petition for Transfer Credit Evaluation. It is the student’s responsibility to have transcripts sent to WNC. If a student does not have this done by the start of their second semester, they will not be certified again until all transcripts have been evaluated.
  4. Meet with or contact the WNC VA School Certifying Official, located in the Financial Aid Office (Bristlecone Room 102 or at 775-445-3263).  You will be required to submit your Certificate of Eligibility and DD214.  You will also be required to complete the Veterans Data Form (must be completed each semester in order to be certified for VA Education Benefits).  Financial Aid Staff and the VA School Certifying Official are available to help you complete these requirements.
  5. Meet with a counselor, located in Counseling Services (Bristlecone Room 103 or at 775-445-3267). Counselors are available to help students with degree selection, class schedules, and provide career counseling.  A counselor signature is required on the Veterans Data Form.
  6. Meet with the Veterans Resource Center Coordinator at the Veterans Resource Center (Cedar Room 330 or at 775-445-3001).  Learn more about the VRC on their website.

Veteran Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements 

In order to maintain Veteran Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at Western Nevada College, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. If a student fails to meet this standard, they will be placed on Academic Probation and VA education benefits may be suspended.

WNC VA SAP Appeal Process

Students wishing to continue using VA education benefits at WNC while on Academic Probation, must meet with an Academic Counselor and file a VA SAP Appeal E-Form. If a student’s appeal is approved, the school will resume the normal certification process for the student. If the appeal is denied students may take classes at WNC at their own expense. Once they reach a 2.0 cumulative GPA on their own, they will again qualify for certification of VA Education Benefits.

Late Fees

Western Nevada College does not penalize students using VA Education benefit programs under Chapters 33 and 31 while waiting for payment from the Department of Veterans Affairs providing they submit a Certificate of Eligibility, a written request to use such entitlement (Veterans Data Form) and any additional information needed to certify enrollment.

Students will continue to have access to all WNC classes and services as outlined in our catalog. No late fees will be assessed and student accounts will be placed on hold to avoid classes being dropped for non-payment. Title 38 USC 3679 (e).

The Veterans Resource Center

The Veterans Resource Center lives by its motto “Veterans Helping Veterans” and is home to many beneficial Veteran programs. They include VA benefit counseling, tutoring, academic advising, peer-to-peer mentorship and more.