The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Office exists to protect the health and provide for the safety of students, employees, and visitors. Our office partners with BCN HR Shared Services to administer a variety of tools and programs to protect persons from injury, to protect our assets, and to protect the environment.

Accidents, Theft, Loss and Insurance Reimbursements

If a department experiences an accident, theft, vandalism, property damage, or any criminal behavior, the department should immediately notify University Police Services. Loss prevention, insurance claims, and reimbursements are coordinated through the Environmental Health and Safety Office. Related forms are posted on the EHS Forms and Downloads or BCN Risk Managements website.

Inventory changes (due to accidents, theft or loss) are coordinated through the Business Office.

Auto Insurance and Vehicle Use Policy

Insurance coverage, accident procedures and forms related to WNC-owned vehicles, personal/privately owned vehicles, and rented vehicles are listed at BCN Risk Managements website.

Employee Work-Related Injury

Emergency Care: If the employee requires emergency medical attention call 911 (9-911 from a campus landline). An ambulance should transport the injured worker to the nearest emergency room.

Urgent Care: If the employee requires urgent care treatment, they should be transported to the nearest first stop urgent care. A list of approved urgent care providers can be found on the BCN Risk Management website.

Clinical Care: If non-emergency or urgent care is needed during business hours on the Carson City campuses, go to:

Nevada Occupational Health Center
3488 Goni Road Suite 141 (corner of Goni & College Pkwy)
Carson City, NV 89703

Related forms and procedures are posted on BCN Risk Managements website.

Field Trips

Field trip information, including insurance related to accidents and travel, are listed at BCN Risk Managements website

Activity Approval Request Forms are posted online and should be completed when applicable; however, when planning a field trip, an activity waiver may not be the only documentation needed.

Trip planners should review the risks involved in the trip and weigh them against the educational objectives of the trip. Planners should pay special attention to the following situations and contact EHS for guidance regarding procedures and documentation for the trip:

  • Alcohol consumption
  • Car pools
  • Employee use of personal vehicles
  • Foreign travel
  • Non-WNC participants
  • Rental cars
  • Overnight stays
  • Out-of-state travel
  • Student drivers
  • Workers compensation coverage for employees/volunteers

Foreign Travel

WNC employees traveling on WNC business are provided with travel insurance free of charge as indicated on BCN Risk Managements website.
Employees should review this information and obtain an insurance card as needed when a foreign travel request is approved and before embarking on the trip. WNC Business Office and the Travel Policy can provide additional assistance and information.

See also: Policy 7-2-1 Travel

Student Accidents, Liability Insurance and Student Groups

Procedures regarding student accidents, liability insurance, student groups and related forms are listed at BCN Risk Managements website.
WNC does not provide student health insurance; it is recommended that students purchase their own health insurance.


A volunteer is any individual who performs a service for and directly related to the business of Western Nevada College without the expectation of monetary or material compensation.
Volunteers are expected to abide by college policies and regulations that govern their actions, including but not limited to those of ethical behavior, confidentiality, financial responsibility, and drug and alcohol use.

The Nevada System of Higher Education Terms of Employment for Volunteers must be signed by the volunteer, guardian (if applicable), recommending authority, and appointing authority.

Volunteers are not considered employees for any purpose other than workers compensation and general liability protection. Therefore, they are not eligible for retirement and health benefits, other than workers compensation, as a result of their volunteer status. Volunteers serve at the pleasure of the institution. Accordingly, a volunteer assignment can be terminated at the discretion of the institution without notice or cause.

Volunteer Training

Each department will be responsible for training their volunteers. Training must be completed successfully before the volunteer may begin the assignment. If volunteers will be working with machines and/or equipment, they must be provided with the proper protective gear. If the volunteer will be working with machines and/or equipment, they must be supervised by a trained staff member or experienced volunteer.


A person under the age of eighteen may only become a volunteer with parental consent. Minors are not allowed to work with any type of machinery and/or equipment under any condition. Per theFair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the minimum age for employment and/or volunteering is 14 years of age.

Employee Performing Volunteer Service

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, a non-exempt employee cannot be both a paid employee and non-paid volunteer while performing the same type of work for the same employer.

See also: Policy 11-3-16: Volunteers in State Service

Contact Us

Environmental Health and Safety
Reynolds Building, Room 104C
2201 West College Parkway, Carson City, NV 89703