Policy 7-2-1-1: Student Team or Group Travel
|Policy:||Policy 7-2-1-1: Student Team or Group Travel||Date Adopted:||May 17, 2005|
|Statement:||All WNC travel is governed by the State Administrative Manual (SAM) and the WNC Travel Manual.|
Table of Contents:
- Allowable Travel and Approval
- Reimbursable Expenses
- Submission of Expense Reports
- Method of Transportation
- Side Trips
- Alcoholic Beverages
Section 1: Definition
- Team travel is defined as any student group, such as a team, ASWN recognized club, class or other organization directly affiliated with and sponsored by the college, traveling to an activity or event directly related to a college recognized function or directly related to a clubs purpose as stated in their club constitution.
Section 2: Allowable Travel and Approval
- At least ten working days prior to the first date of travel, a Team Travel Request
Form must be submitted to the Dean of Student Services for team and club travel requests,
or to the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs for academic class travel
requests. The request must specify:
- The purpose of the trip and a justification of how it directly relates to the purpose of the team, clubs purpose as stated in their constitution, and/or to the academic class, for a purpose other than entertainment.
- A travel budget, including which account(s) are to be used for funding and the responsible employee (excluding student employees) who will assume responsibility for the payment and reporting of all expenses associated with the trip;
- A roster of all travelers and each travelers affiliation with WNC (i.e. student, advisor, coach, etc.) and the responsible employee (excluding student employees) who will travel with the student group.
- For student club travel, in general, the cost of travel per student (based on college funds) should not exceed more than what is listed in ASWN policies and procedures, excluding travel for a sports club to participate in a sports competition. Exceptions can be made by the Dean of Student Services.
- A college employee or approved individual (excluding student employees) must travel with the student group/team/club. Exceptions must be approved by the Dean of Student Services or Vice President.
- A signed Club Waiver, Release and Indemnification Agreement for each student participant must accompany the Team Travel Request Form.
- The request will be reviewed to determine the appropriateness of the purpose of the travel and for safe lodging of the participants. The request must be approved by the Dean or Vice President before any further action is taken.
Section 3: Reimbursable Expenses
- Reimbursements for team travel are dependent on the needs and circumstances of each trip. The maximum reimbursements are those approved in the travel section in the WNC Policy Manual (WNC Policy 7-2-1). Team travel reimbursements may be less. After receiving approval from the Dean or Vice President to travel, at least five (5) days prior to each trip, the responsible college employee will submit a travel budget to the appropriate Dean or Vice President for approval. The Dean or Vice President will review the proposed travel budget to ensure that it does not exceed the standard meal and lodging rates and verify the availability of funds. The amount approved will be advanced to the responsible employee and is the maximum support the college will reimburse. All spend authorizations must be accompanied by the approved team travel request form, student waivers, and any additional details pertaining to the travel.
Section 4: Advances
- Advances for team travel may be secured by an approved Spend Authorization. An advance will be issued by the WNC Controllers Office with a direct deposit to the employee acting in an advisory capacity. The amount of the advance will be the amount approved by the respective Dean or Vice President. The advance payment and expense reconciliation of the trip is the responsibility of the authorized employee. This employee is also responsible for paying back the remaining balance of the advance in the event that all funds were not needed for the trip.
Section 5: Submission of Expense Reports
- Upon completion of the trip, an expense report needs to be submitted within ten working days. Please refer to the main travel policy for further information: WNC Policy 7-2-1.
Section 6: Method of Transportation
- The method of transportation must be the most economical available. Charter planes are not allowed. College employees and students may use State motor pool and college-owned vehicles for travel sponsored by the college, as well as contracted types of commercial transportation. Please refer to the main travel policy for further information: WNC Policy 7-2-1.
Section 7: Side Trips
- Official business-related side trips by an employee taken during team or group travel should be submitted as a separate travel claim and not included with the team travel claim. However, the employee expense report and the team travel expense report must cross-reference each other.
Section 8: Alcoholic Beverages
- The purchase of alcoholic beverages shall not be included in the travel budget for any trip or part of the reimbursement.
|Date(s) Revised||April 4, 2019; September 2, 2008;||Date(s) Reviewed|