Policy 8-2-2: Computer Security
|Policy:||Policy 8-2-2: Computer Software||Date Adopted:||September 2, 2008|
|Statement:||In order to ensure the security of college equipment and sustain the stability of Western Nevada College's hardware and network infrastructure, it is crucial for software to undergo a comprehensive assessment before procurement. Only individuals with authorization are permitted to carry out software installations on college computers.|
Section 1: Software
- Users of WNC computing resources are responsible for the legality of their software at all times. Users must be aware of the license conditions and should never copy software without consulting the license agreement. Individual users are responsible for not installing illegal computer software on WNC equipment.
- The approval of software contracts necessitates prior clearance from the WNC legal team before any purchase is made.
- Software vendors are required to submit a HECVAT (Higher Education Community Vendor Assessment Toolkit) for approval prior to the purchase of any software that will access employee and/or student information.
- Employees must submit a Computing Services support ticket for software approvals prior to purchasing. Computing Services will perform an analysis of the software to ensure compatibility, security, and stability with computer hardware and network. If the software is found to be incompatible, insecure, or unstable, Computing Services will notify the requester and provide recommendations for alternative software if available.
- Only Computing Services approved software will be allowed to be installed on Western Nevada College computer hardware. Any unverified software found on Western Nevada College computer hardware will be removed.
- All educational software must comply with accessibility standards. Any third-party software utilized in a course must be accessible and it is the obligation of the department or faculty member providing the materials to ensure this.
NSHE Procedures and Guidelines Manual Title 4, Chapter 1.23
Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504)
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
WNC policy 3-8-1
|Date(s) Revised||October 6, 2023; September 2, 2008; May 11, 2004;||Date(s) Reviewed|