Policy: Policy 3-5-3: Academic Renewal Policy Date Adopted: Jan 23, 2007
Department: Academic & Student Affairs Contact: Vice President
Statement: Students may petition to have an entire semester of course work disregarded in all calculations regarding academic standing and grade point average.

Table of Contents:

  1. Eligibility
  2. Procedure

Section 1: Eligibility

  1. Eligibility for academic renewal is subject to the following conditions:
    1. At the time the petition is filed, at least one year must have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was completed.
    2. In the interval between the completion of the most recent course work to be disregarded and the filing of the petition, students shall have completed at least 12 acceptable credits of course work at a regionally accredited institution of higher education with a grade-point average of at least 2.5 on all work completed during that interval. Courses taken during the interval may be repeats of previously attempted college work.

Section 2: Procedure

  1. The students filed petition must specify the semester to be disregarded. A semester with only W grades may not be considered for academic renewal.
  2. If the petition is approved under this policy, the students permanent academic record will be suitably marked to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester, even if satisfactory, may apply toward graduation requirements and the grades will not be calculated into the students grade point average. However, all course work will remain on the academic record, ensuring a true and accurate academic history. The original grades earned will be calculated toward satisfactory academic progress for financial aid.
  3. Academic renewal can only occur once during a students academic career. Academic renewal can only be applied prior to graduation from the first degree or certificate. Once a student graduates, academic renewal cannot be retroactively applied.

Date(s) Revised September 2, 2008; Date(s) Reviewed