Policy 3-5-1: Grade Appeal
|Policy:||Policy 3-5-1: Grade Appeal||Date Adopted:||Dec 06, 1994|
|Department:||Dean of Student Services Office||Contact:||Dean of Student Services|
|Statement:||A student has the right to activate the grade appeal process for him/herself when s/he believes that the grade s/he received for a course is incorrect.|
Table of Contents:
- Written Notice
- Unresolved Grade Appeal
- Hearing Committee
- Final Action on Grade Appeal
Section 1: Activation
- Prior to activation of the formal grade appeal process it is recommended that the student discuss his/her complaint with the faculty member who issued the grade.
- If the student cannot reach the faculty member or if the grade is not resolved by the faculty member then the student must file a written intent to appeal the grade with the faculty members division office within 2 weeks of the grades posting.
Section 2: Written Notice
- Once the written notice is filed, the student has until 5 p.m. on February 1st or 5 p.m. on September 1st (whichever occurs immediately after the grading period in which the grade was issued) to contact the Academic Director who will set up a meeting between the student, and faculty member if they have not met before).
Section 3: Unresolved Grade Appeal
- If the grade appeal is still unresolved, the student must submit details in writing to the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs within 10 days of the meeting with the Academic Director and faculty member.
- The vice president in return will notify the faculty member, student, Academic Director and the Academic Standards Committee by certified U.S. mail (or by WNC email) of the formal grade appeal.
Section 4: Hearing Committee
- Within 15 days of the receipt of the written certified letter, the Academic Standards Committee will meet to hear the grade appeal.
- The faculty member and the student who is appealing his/her grade will be invited to be present when the Academic Standards Committee meets.
- Hearings shall be recorded or transcribed. These records are maintained for a seven-year time-period.
Section 5: Final Action on Grade Appeal
- The written recommendation of the Academic Standards Committee will be forwarded to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs who will act on the grade appeal within 15 days of being notified.
|Date(s) Revised||October 6, 2015; June 19, 2013; September 2, 2008; May 11, 2004; April 4, 2000; February 23, 1999;||Date(s) Reviewed|