Policy 10-1-8: Possession of Dangerous Weapons on College Campuses
|Policy:||Policy 10-1-8: Possession of Dangerous Weapons on College Campuses||Date Adopted:||Sep 18, 2007|
|Statement:||Possession of dangerous weapons on college campuses is prohibited without written permission of the president.|
NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school; penalty; exceptions.
- Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess,
while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education or a private or public
school or while in a vehicle of a private or public school:
- An explosive or incendiary device;
- A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;
- A nunchaku or trefoil;
- A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles; or
- A pistol, revolver or other firearm.
- Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
- This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on
the property of a private or public school by a:
- Peace officer;
- School security guard; or
- Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school to carry or possess the weapon.
- For the purposes of this section:
- Firearm includes:
- Any device used to mark the clothing of a person with paint or any other substance; and
- Any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.
- Nunchaku has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
- Switchblade knife has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
- Trefoil has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
- Vehicle has the meaning ascribed to school bus in NRS 484.148. (Added to NRS by 1989, 656; A 1993, 364; 1995, 1151; 2001, 806)
- Firearm includes:
|Date(s) Revised||September 2, 2008;||Date(s) Reviewed|
|NSHE Code(s)||NRS Code(s)||202.265; 202.350; 484.148||NAC Code(s)|
*Please note: that not all WNC Policies will be referenced in these documents.
NSHE Board of Regents Handbook
Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS)
Nevada Administrative Code (NAC)